GMN
GMNYour Arts Network
Home Classical Jazz Opera Ballet Theater World Shop Contests Forums

 Websites
GMN Premium
ClassicalPlus
JazzPlus

CD SHOP
 Special Offers
 Best Sellers
 GMN CDs
 Classical
 Jazz
 Opera
 World
 Ballet
 Theater
 Gift Subscriptions

 Forums
Visit our NEW! Discussion Forums
(Registration Required)

SUBSCRIBE
 
FREE Newsletter
'

Want to save money on your broadband? Quick, grab a lifeline from PlusNet. Super-fast up to 20Mb broadband only £9.99 per month. Moving is free - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.
SEARCH
The GMN Shop
Content Archive
The MediaPlayer
Free Music
Grove Dictionary
All Searches



MEMBERS
 Sign In
 New User Sign Up
 Select a Player


News
Overview
Classical News, Jazz, Opera, World Music, Theater, Ballet ...

Pavarotti "disappoints" UK tenor star
Opera lovers were bathed in evening sunshine in London's Hyde Park on Saturday as Luciano Pavarotti and a host of talented supporting artists entertained more than 70,000 fans at the great tenor's only UK concert this year.

The concert, entitled "Picnic with Pavarotti", helped raise £500,000 for the young people's charity the Prince's Trust.

But BBC Online News reveals there was a sour note to the proceedings after an expected duet between Watson and Pavarotti failed to take place. Chart-topping young tenor sensation Russell Watson has blamed a communications breakdown after a the piece was cancelled 20 minutes before it was due to happen.

Watson had hoped to team up with the Italian superstar, plus child singing star Charlotte Church and violinist Vanessa-Mae for the finale of the concert. However, 20 minutes before he expected to take to the stage he was apparently told the collaboration was off.

Instead, Pavarotti sang with Italian soprano Annalisa Raspagliosi, performing a duet from Verdi's La Traviata.

Watson, who had already performed earlier in a solo set, told BBC Online: "I was expecting to duet with the big man and I'm very disappointed about it. I found out about it 20 minutes from the end of the concert.

"It's put a bit of a damper for me personally for what has been a fantastic event. It's still a bit of a bad taste. His management haven't communicated properly with us."

The event also features a personal message to the crowd read out by actor Richard E Grant on behalf of the Prince of Wales. The prince paid tribute to Pavarotti’s prodigious charity fundraising: "Thanks to your generosity we will be able to change lives. I have no doubt that this concert will be remarkable and memorable - I just wish that I could be with you tonight to share in it."

Pavarotti, 65, is due to return to Britain next year when he will perform in Tosca at Covent Garden.

He recently performed in China with fellow tenor superstars Jose Carreras and Placido Domingo in support of Beijing’s successful bid to host the Olympic Games.

Sun Jul 15 2001 (1:53:03 PM)

  Discussion

 Printer Friendly version
More Opera News

 Shopping
Classical Music Sale! The HUGE MyMusic.com Classical Music Sale - Now On!



gmnyour arts network
 GMN.com 
 GMN ClassicalPlus   GMN JazzPlus 
Become an Affiliate · Contact Us · Advertising · News · Links
Home · Register · Terms of Use · Privacy Policy · Information Center · Help

Copyright © 1999 - 2001 Global Music Network Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Music downloads, audio and video provided for personal, non-commercial use only and may not be re-distributed.

Tue, May 23, 2017 12:55:44 PM US EST
back to top
0.03125 Seconds
v4.0b - gmn.com - True
Easynet